ISIS Applications

Sunday, January 17, 2010

ISIS Fuseology Introduction...

Some of the most popular questions that we get relate to how to properly fuse the wires in a car. Since most of the team over here at ISIS Power came from the engineering group of the largest global supplier of fuses, we know a thing or two about this topic.

We all went through our technical infancy under some of the world's experts on fusing and circuit protection, a rockin' group of guys to hang with. One of my favorites of all of these characters was Dave Krueger, formerly Littelfuse's Vice-President of engineering. He taught an 8-week course known as Fuseology. You wouldn't think that there is that much material, but I can attest that there is. I can also confess that I slept through a fair amount of it.

As I have posted before, one of our goals for the ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System is to simplify the process of wiring your car. Additionally, there are things built into the system to improve the reliability and safety of your car's overall electrical system.

This is the first of many posts on how to property protect the wiring in your car. Here are a few of the topics that I'll be covering.

-Why do I need a fuse?
-When should I use a fuse?
-Fuses versus Circuit Breakers?
-How do I select the right fuse rating?
-Fast-acting versus time-delay
-Other electrical threats in the car electrical system (load-dumps & electrostatic discharge)

Stay tuned for our series on Fuseology and lessons on how to properly wire your car.

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment